Wednesday, June 17, 2009

And Iran...Iran so far away


What were you up to Monday night? I had gone to a movie and dashed home to tweet about it and I got caught up in a twitter revolution. For about and hour, I was a part of the action. I was not changing diapers, folding laundry or doing dishes. No, I was sharing in the protest against a fraudulent election and information suppression with Iranians who heretofore had been, I am ashamed to admit, unknown entities to me. I suppose a part of me had dismissed them as broken people who had folded under the weight of an oppressive regime. But, the truth is that they have been empowered to make their voices heard. And thanks to twitter, Americans are not the "them" that we had been for years. Now we are their allies. By changing my profile twitter picture to green, I show solidarity with those seeking to establish true freedom and democracy in Iran. Twitter has made us neighbors and friends.

No comments:

Make a Peace Pledge!