Tuesday, October 16, 2007

How to get rid of mice

We dashed out of the house this morning as we always do and made it to the car @ 7:28 AM which is just the right time to beat the 8:00AM traffic and get to school just before they open the doors. Rose and I returned with anticipation of a play date with cousin Julia. We came in the house and set our things down and the first thing I see is a tiny mouse trapped under the leg of one of our rocking chairs. And then Julia arrived and I ushered them to the den and told them to play, play, play with a fake smile on my face. I am not equipped to deal with mice, living, dead or squirming under the leg of a rocking chair. I frantically paged Super Daddy, twice and called his office desk, twice, while standing on the nearest chair to guard the squirming creature. The girls chattered and giggled out in the den, completely unaware of my pathetic situation. I thank God that Chloe and Ethan were not home because Ethan would have grabbed the creature's tail and tossed it into his plastic habitat and claimed it as his pet. And Chloe would have tried to pet it and name it. Super Daddy called and laughed and agreed to come home and rescue me. So I stood on the chair staring at the clock and watching the creature squirm and almost set itself free! After about 10 minutes of being completely pathetic, I started to go about my business, making coffee and sweeping the kitchen and peeking on the creature every once in awhile. But my bold movements were providing the needed adrenaline that the creature needed to free itself. So I returned to my post and sure enough Super Daddy arrived and had so much fun with my pathetic situation.
He put rubber gloves on and grabbed the tail and whisked it outside, across the street where I have to wonder about its disposition while I rest assured that it is out of my house. I give SD a big hug and a fresh pot of mocha for his drive back to work. Somehow, my pathetic situation has made his day. So, I go to the computer and google mice and I see two categories of hits: How to Get Rid of Mice and Mice as Pets. You can see by the title of my blog which way I am going with this. If anyone has any ideas, please comment! Otherwise, I will have the pricey professionals come in and do their business.

No comments:

Make a Peace Pledge!