Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Ode to good ole Tidewater Tap

It is true that grabbing a chilled plastic bottle of water is oh, so convenient when heading out to the blazing heat of an August day. A cooler full of plastic bottled water can be your saving grace for a day at the beach. But it has come to my attention that it takes 26 litres of water, 1Kg of fossil fuel, and 1 pound of CO2 to manufacture one litre of Fiji water. So, I ask my husband: is he willing to stop buying caseloads of bottled water? He doesn't believe what I tell him about the environmental impact and he gives me a list of reasons why bottled water is in our life. But then he reads the citation http://digitaljournal.com/article/108604/ and he, too is pondering the impact. Then he proposes that I start to recycle my grocery bags by reusing them next time I go grocery shopping. One thing at a time, I tell him. I recycle those bags as trash bags, I think to myself. Now he's got me feeling guilty about those darn trash bags. I am going to give tidewater tap water a try. I started drinking bottled water over 20 years ago. Way before it was sold at convenient stores. Each morning as I headed to school or work, I would fill my bright green bottle with the funky straw attached. I would refill it as I passed a fountain and I would rinse it in the sink each night. I never liked the funky straw so I won't be going down that route. This whole thing has me thinking and now I am thirsty for a chilled bottle of....chilled glass of tidewater tap.

1 comment:

Saint Maker said...

But I like my water bottles... grin ... LOL... but you are right, waste not want not which of course means if we do not waste it now, we will have enough for the future. I do resuse water bottles, so that is good right?

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble, Therefore we will not fear though the earth should change, Though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult. "Be still, and know that I am God. I am exalted among the nations, I am exalted in the earth!" The Lord of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge. Psalm 46 1-3, 10-11

Make a Peace Pledge!