Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Kodak Moment

We had a fence installed this week. This has been a long awaited coming. We have discussed it for a few years and last year we started the yard preparations. In the fall, we had our old 6 foot hedge removed. That was fun to watch. We had a neighbor with a John Deere and all its attachments blazing through the lawn ripping up and dumping earth. I watched the hedge disappear right before my very eyes. Earlier in the day, I phoned my dear old neighbor and warned her so that she would not be disoriented when she saw the newly cleared view. After the earth was all churned up, we had it leveled. Fresh smell of turned earth lingered and we had a canvas of possibility emerge. And now we have a beautiful white picket fence. It really is a work of art. It all started as a need to set a safe boundary for the kids. I didn't want them running out into the street to chase a ball. The fence is almost done. A few critical pieces, like gates with locks, need to be installed. I am only too anxious for these final touches. And here is the Kodak moment. We are potty training Rose. She went through three pairs of underwear by noon. I went out to the garage to start a load of laundry and Bill went upstairs in search of diapers and Rose let herself out in the backyard and quickly wandered to the front whereupon I returned to the kitchen and asked: Where is Rose? I noticed the open french door and I quickly ran to the front yard to head her off, if, indeed, she was wandering around the gate-less yard naked. And there she was in the front yard naked and heading for a victory lap. Monday we are having the gates installed. Tonight, I am having Bill run to the hardware store to buy Rose-proof padlocks.

1 comment:

Saint Maker said...

haha! show some pictures of the fence.

Make a Peace Pledge!