Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Autonomy versus shame and doubt

I started this blog a week ago and I have not had the chance to sit and rant all week! I have been busy cleaning up after Rose's multiple attempts at autonomy. On Saturday, I asked the kids to entertain themselves while I did some cleaning in anticipation of some dinner guests we were having on the next day. Pretty much the only room in the house that did not need to be cleaned was the upstairs bathroom. It's our little oasis that was recently rennovated. I clean it daily because I just like being in the room. So, I was downstairs picking up, sweeping, and mopping when I heard the first call of frustration from Rose, "Moooom.". The sound was coming from the general direction of the oasis. I ran upstairs and saw the door closed and I opened it. The first thing I saw was Rose standing on the stool at the sink with her hands covered in antibacterial soap and some other material...coffee grounds? Before I could utter..."What is that?!" I turned to find Chloe and Ethan behind the door with a spider plant from the downstairs. The dirt from the spider plant was in the tub, on the floor, crushed into the thick fibers of the white cotton rug. Needless to say, pursuit of autonomy faded and shame and doubt ensued and I had a lot of undoing to do...starting with the vaccuming and ending with, "Sorry, I got soooo angry, guys."

No comments:

Make a Peace Pledge!