Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Elections Have Consequences


I could use this same title for most of my posts about the actions of the Obama administration. This week, while we are glued to our sets watching the Sotomayor Saga...snooze...., health care legislation is being overhauled and hate crimes legislation is being introduced. Ch-ch-ch-changes....that's for sure. Earth shattering, ground breaking ch-ch-ch-changes. And while I think these changes are pointing our country in the wrong direction, I have to remind myself that elections have consequences. I am aware of a certain clarity that one has when one has not voted for the current administration. And conversely, I am aware of the tendency for those who did vote for the current administration to default to autopilot and apathy and allow this administration to proceed in overdrive. It happened to those who voted Bush into office, twice, I might add. The Bush opponents had a certain clarity about Rumsfeld, that Bush supporters lacked. And now, the clarity and concern has been awakened in conservatives. I am not sure how this awakening will translate into political action. In the meantime, Sotomayor will likely be confirmed without pause. And we will be ushered into an era where the highest court in the land will now use empathy to decide cases. This court will also take into consideration the race, gender, life experience and sexual behavior of an individual before deciding on the case. As Sotomayor continues to parse her words and, by omission, basically acknowledge that abortion is a constitutional right, will we continue to sit in the passenger's seat and watch our country pass us by?

No comments:

Make a Peace Pledge!